PD2100 Series Marine Converters/Chargers
Marine Battery Charger Tip Video
The Inteli-Power Four-Stage Charging System
Our patented system is designed to provide the optimum charging voltage at all times during the recharge cycle. Battery voltage is constantly monitored by the microprocessor, which then automatically selects one of four operating modes as follows:
Boost Mode - Selected whenever the microprocessor senses the battery voltage is very low. Boost Mode provides a higher charging voltage that rapidly brings the battery up to 90% of full charge. The digital display will show the word BOOST when the charger is in this mode.
Normal Mode - Automatically selected once the battery reaches the 90% charged level. This lower voltage safely completes the charge and the unit will remain in this Normal Mode as long as the 12 Volt systems are being operated. The digital display will show the word NORMAL when the unit is in this mode.
Storage Mode - Activated automatically when the 12 Volt systems are turned off and the battery has been fully charged for a period of 30 hours. The digital display will show the word STORAGE when the unit is in this mode.
Exclusive Equalize Mode - Prevents battery stratification and power robbing sulfation. When the charger is in the Storage Mode, the microprocessor automatically equalizes the battery by increasing the voltage from 13.2 Volts to 14.4 Volts for 15 minutes every 21 hours. This higher voltage remixes the electrolyte mixture of water and sulfuric acid. Battery manufacturers recommend that Lead-Acid batteries be equalized every 30 days or 10 discharge cycles.
NEW! Surface Mount Technology for Circuit Boards
Progressive Dynamics, Inc. has constructed a new surface mount printed circuit board room and installed surface mount equipment at its Marshall, MI manufacturing location. Read More
NOTE: As of May 1, 2014, Progressive Dynamics will no longer be supporting the warranty on our 2000 series marine converters. The model numbers included are PD2020, PD2020V, PD2030, PD2030V, PD2040, PD2040V, PD2050, PD2050V, PD2060, PD2060V, PD2080, PD2080V. Progressive Dynamics will still honor the warranty on all of our 2100 series marine converters.
What is Battery Stratification?
The Electrolyte in Lead-Acid batteries is water and sulfuric acid, and if a battery is not fully charged immediately after discharge, the sulfuric acid begins to form a layer of heavy concentration at the lower portion of the battery. Our exclusive Equalize Mode prevents stratification and sulfation.
Note: Gel-Cell and AGM batteries do not require an Equalize Mode.
BOOST Voltage = 14.4 Volts
BOOST Voltage = 13.9 Volts
BOOST Voltage = 13.9 Volts
Inteli-Power Converter/Chargers can be connected in series to provide a combination 12/24 Volt system, or in parallel to provide more current (as shown below).
PD2100 Series Specifications Table
|Number of Battery Banks||3||3||3||3||3||3|
|Maximum Continuous DC Output Current - Available on each output||20-AMPS||30-AMPS||40-AMPS||50-AMPS||60-AMPS||80-AMPS|
|Maximum Continuous Input Power||350 WATTS||550 WATTS||650 WATTS||900 WATTS||1,000 WATTS||1,300 WATTS|
|DC Output Voltage (Normal)||13.9 VDC||13.9 VDC||13.9 VDC||13.9 VDC||13.9 VDC||13.9 VDC|
|DC Output Voltage (Boost)||14.4 VDC||14.4 VDC||14.4 VDC||14.4 VDC||14.4 VDC||14.4 VDC|
|DC Output Voltage (Storage)||13.3 VDC||13.3 VDC||13.3 VDC||13.3 VDC||13.3 VDC||13.3 VDC|
|Full Load Output Voltage (Normal)||> 12.6 VDC||> 12.6 VDC||> 12.6 VDC||> 12.6 VDC||> 12.6 VDC||> 12.6 VDC|
|Input Voltage||105 - 130 VAC||105 - 130 VAC||105 - 130 VAC||105 - 130 VAC||105 - 130 VAC||105 - 130 VAC|
|Input Voltage Frequency||50-60 HZ||50-60 HZ||50-60 HZ||50-60 HZ||50-60 HZ||50-60 HZ|
|Peak Inrush Current||32-AMPS||32-AMPS||32-AMPS||47-AMPS||47-AMPS||80-AMPS|
|Efficiency (Typical)||> 80%||> 80%||> 80%||> 80%||> 80%||> 80%|
|Reverse Battery Protection||YES||YES||YES||YES||YES||YES|
|Electronic Current Limiting||YES||YES||YES||YES||YES||YES|
|Over Voltage Protection||YES||YES||YES||YES||YES||YES|
|Electronic Fan Control *||AUTO VARIABLE SPEED||AUTO
|AUTO VARIABLE SPEED||AUTO
|Back Up Thermal Protection||YES||YES||YES||YES||YES||YES|
|Storage Temperature||-20C to +80C||-20C to +80C||-20C to +80C||-20C to +80C||-20C to +80C||-20C to +80C|
|Operating Temperature||-10C to +50C||-10C to +50C||-10C to +50C||-10C to +50C||-10C to +50C||-10C to +50C|
|Hipot Voltage Test||<-------------- 1240 V @ INPUT TERMINALS ------------>|
|Onboard CHARGE WIZARD With Automatic 4-Mode Charging||YES||YES||YES||YES||YES||YES|
|Weight||5.7 LBS.||5.8 LBS.||5.9 LBS.||6.3 LBS.||6.4 LBS.||9.2 LBS.|
|Dimensions||10.9"L X 7.8"W X 4.2"H||10.9"L X 7.8"W X 4.2"H||10.9"L X 7.8"W X 4.2"H||10.9"L X 7.8"W X 4.2"H||10.9"L X 7.8"W X 4.2"H||15.2"L X 7.8"W X 4.2"H|
|Marine UL & c UL Listed||YES||YES||YES||YES||YES||YES|
* Fan controlled by temperature sensor normally operates only during high load or high ambient temperature conditions. All output voltages are +/- 0.3 VDC and specified for lead acid type batteries. All voltages are 0.4 VDC lower for gel type batteries.
- Available With Output Ratings From 20 to 80 Amps.
- Field Programmable To Properly Charge Lead-Acid, Gel-Cell, or AGM Batteries.
- Micro-Processor Controlled Four-Stage Charging System Provides Rapid Recharge And Long Battery Life.
- Digital Meter - Displays Current, Voltage, Operation Mode, Blown Fuse Indication, and Battery Type.
- Built-In Self Test
- Patent #'s: 6,184,649;
and * 5,982,643
* One or more Patents pending
Battery Charger Safety & and Reliability Features
- Four-Stage Charging System- patented Microprocessor constantly monitors battery voltage and automatically selects one of the four charging modes; BOOST, NORMAL, STORAGE or EQUALIZE.
- 3 Diode Isolated Outputs- allows the converter/charger to charge three separate banks of batteries. Each output is capable of handling the full rated current of the charger.
- Patented Reverse Battery Protection- prevents converter/charger from being damaged if the batteries are accidentally connected to the charger in reverse.
- Over Voltage Protection- prevents high voltage spikes from damaging the converter/charger.
- Electronic Current Limiting- limits the output current to the maximum rating of the charger to prevent overheating and damage caused by shorts or excessive loads.
- Intelligent Cooling Fan- only runs as fast as required to maintain a more constant operating temperature inside the converter/charger. This feature reduces thermal stress caused by fans that cycle on and off.
- Regulated Output Voltage- prevents AC Line voltage variations from being transmitted to the batteries and 12 volt circuits.
- Automatic Over-Temperature Shutdown- prevents converter/charger damage in the event the fan is unable to cool the charger due to inadequate compartment ventilation.
- Series or Parallel Connection- Inteli-Power Converter/Chargers can be connected in series to provide a combination 12/24 Volt system, or in parallel to provide more current.